Professional Boxing – Warning – Are You Making These Mistakes?
Each progressive spirit is opposed by 1000 mediocre minds appointed to guard the past! – Maurice Materlinck
Am I exposed to the latest scientific knowledge and discoveries in my training? This is the most important question you must ask yourself as a professional boxer. The correct training regime in the gym is imperative in accomplishing your success goals. Take a minute to calculate the price of losing. How much will it cost you to train the wrong way? How much time will you spend doing things in the gym that are ineffective, just plain wrong and even dangerous to the health of boxers?
* The speed bag does not simulate any skill required for actual boxing and its normal use is no longer advocated. Cus D’Amato, the legendary trainer of Floyd Patterson, Jose Torres and Mike Tyson, once hit the speed bag blindfolded to prove that the exercise does nothing to improve hand-eye coordination. Joe Frazier used the speed bag to practice the timing of his punches for a valid use of the equipment. Hitting the bag in a rapid manner is a pointless activity.
* Excessive Running is not beneficial for a boxer because long distance jogging is not the stamina building training needed for boxing. The conditioning needed for boxing is more like a sprint than a marathon. Short, high intensity training is required for boxing, not slow, long distance running. In addition, long training runs will drain a fighter’s energy and make his gym training sessions less effective.
* Shadow boxing and throwing punches using light dumbbells or weighed gloves do not build speed or power in a boxer. These techniques can cause significant injuries such as pulled muscles, torn ligaments and possibly torn rotator cuff (shoulder). Using weighted and oversize gloves will also throw your timing off. As legendary Champion Bernard Hopkins says, “You will over shoot the runway.”
* Weight Training Taboo. Modern scientific evidence clearly demonstrates that weight training is highly beneficial for boxers. Smart boxers now employ weight training on a regular basis to develop power and speed. Modern boxers such as Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., and Michael Spinks all used weight training as part of their highly successful training.
* Rubber, plastic and vinyl suits are extremely harmful and totally ineffective for losing weight. Actor Martin Lawrence went into a coma wearing one. His core body temperature rose to an extremely dangerous level. Rubber suits drain water and electrolytes from the body and do not permit the body to breathe. Proper nutrition through diet is the only successful way to achieve true fat weight loss.
* Albolene also does not induce weight loss. In fact, it makes the skin soft. Soft skin will tear or cut easily. Don’t waste your money on a product that not only does not help you lose weight, but can be personally dangerous in the ring. Vaseline should never be used to prevent cuts. The use of Vaseline is banned in amateur boxing because it has been proven it prevents the skin from breathing.
These are just a few of the mistakes most boxing trainers make because they use the same old-fashion training methods they were taught 30, 40 or 50 years ago. All this bad information is the result of ignorance of modern methods. Are you willing to let your competition have this superior knowledge and advance training methods while you struggle without it? Arm yourself now with the proven most effective training methods, to give yourself the best chance of winning and becoming a world class, championship boxer!